March 2012 to June 2018
In a voluntary capacity, I looked after my local neighbourhood group's website and supported contributors in the Forum's Management Committee to publish their posts via WordPress.
June 2008 to March 2011
As part of the former West Midlands Regional Observatory's communications team, I was responsible for ensuring the organisation's digital communications were consistent in quality, style and content. For Observations – a corporate blog covering social and economic intelligence about the West Midlands region – my role was to:
- sub-edit posts written by researchers and a communications officer
- manage the content publishing schedule
- evaluate the blog's impact on the organisation's performance indicators
- personally write and publish posts
Technical book publishing
April 2003 to July 2004
- assist Apress's editorial board to identify and evaluate work-in-progress books acquired from friends of ED, then develop approved titles to a production-ready state
- commission a new portfolio of books on digital graphics software
I researched and commissioned authors, managed author relationships throughout the editorial process and acted as the lead editor for each book. This involved developmental editing, testing authors' tutorials and code, applying the house style, contracting and managing freelance technical reviewers, preparing images, and finalising a production-ready manuscript.
Titles in a lead editor role:
- New Masters of Photoshop Volume 2
- Extreme Photoshop CS
- Illustrator CS Most Wanted: Techniques and Effects
- Foundation Mac OS X Web Development
- Fireworks MX 2004 Zero to Hero
- Paint Shop Pro 8 Zero to Hero
July 2001 to March 2003
After graduating from The University of Hull I joined friends of ED's PR team to write marketing copy for web magazines, and to build relationships with readers and authors, particularly via discussion forums. I progressed through various editorial roles, much of which involved editing tutorials on ActionScript, the programming language of Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash.
Titles in a sub-editor role:
Titles in a technical editor role: