4 minute read

It’s been a heck of a week – one of those where I’ve beaten myself up for not solving particular problems or delivering work I’d committed to. I close my eyes and see Chrome’s Developer Tools seared into my eyelids. The toughest part has been not finishing the first draft of an article I’ve been due to write for a while. A combination of writer’s block, imposter syndrome, and disappearing down a code rabbit hole has ended in the inevitable result: no words on the page.

2 minute read

After nine years on a self-hosted WordPress platform, I’m now running this site on Hugo, an open-source static site generator. I’ve migrated the blog posts and static pages, removed obsolete material along the way, and updated the post categories. I dropped featured images from blog posts, mainly to save time in the content migration, so the site does look, well, minimal. Colour and imagery may return in the future but I’m happy with the stark feel for now.

6 minute read

Earlier this summer, I completed a documentation project at the University of Warwick (my employer) for a web application called Tabula. The design and development teams rewrote the coursework management component, roughly a quarter of the app, from scratch. I was responsible for writing the support pages on the IT Services’ website for use by staff and students, and contributing to alpha testing. The development team releases new versions of Tabula iteratively, typically once a week.