Updated 25 April 2012: since writing this post, Google have removed the ability to use your Analytics ID to track published Google Docs.
A published Google Doc is one that you have chosen to openly share with anyone on the web.
To turn on tracking of your published documents:
- Go to your Google Docs account.
- Choose Settings and go to the Editing tab.
- Select the checkbox next to Use Google Analytics to track the number of visits to your published documents.
- Paste your Google Analytics tracking code:
Views of all documents published from this account now appear in your reports.
How to publish a document
- To publish a Google Doc, go to Share > Publish as web page:
- Choose Publish document:
Note that this feature currently tracks published documents only. At the time of writing, tracking isn’t available for spreadsheets or presentations.