Selection of links I’ve bookmarked recently:
- West Midlands Regional Observatory dashboard on Pageflakes
- Beyond cut and paste: the professional skills every government web publisher should have
Neil Williams has summarised the core skills required in web publisher or web editing role. The majority of the skills are applicable to any web publisher role, not just within government or public sector.
- Is Google News ignoring meta “description” tags?
Article by Murray Dick on how “meta ‘description’ text used to summarise some news articles, is not being displayed in their Google News results summaries.”
- Tracking documents and external links in google analytics – iQ Blog
- OpenGov: One big challenge? Or a thousand small hurdles : Tim’s Blog
Tim Davies lists 50 small hurdles to successful online engagement that, while small individually, can stack up to prevent success. The list is also applicable to large organisations outside government. The good news is that these small hurdles can be overcome individually. Add a comment on how you did it or write your own blog post and tag ‘smallchallenges’.
- ConsultationXML: getting reusable data out of horrid PDFs – Archive – The Dextrous Web
“Making consultation documents easier to use”
- SEOmoz | Canonical URL Tag – The Most Important Advancement in SEO Practices Since Sitemaps
Useful introduction to the new canonical URL tag, which site publishers can use to suppress duplicate content being indexed by search engines.
See more bookmarks like these on Delicious.